Wednesday, February 11, 2009

What Not To Knit

These cotton market bags, that's what! The pattern I followed was"Elisa's Nest Tote" and I don't think I'd make them again. Even though I did knit two of them. (I have a tendency to get excited about a project and buy enough yarn to make 2 or 3 items even before I start - I hope this is not forshadowing problems with my upcoming ear-flap hats). I made the green tote first - the achilles heel of this pattern is the handles. Do you see the problem with the way the handles bind to the bag? You can't open the tote up when you pull the handles apart! In the photo here, I went to put some magazines in the tote, but had to fold them in a cylinder shape to get them in.


So - I decide to modify the pattern such that the handles don't impede opening the bag. The final product is seen here, with 12 clementines in it. I suppose changing the handles did help the functionality of the bag some, but there is still a gap where the trim doesn't cover on the top of the bag. Well.....with this orange tote, at least you could fit more than a baguette loaf through the opening of the bag.

Other comments / modifications about this pattern - I agree with what most folks on Ravlery said - the bag would look better if knit on circular needles. And I only used 4 stitches (vs the 6 the pattern called for) on the I-cord.

But... at least I learned how to make an "Applied I-cord" with this project, so I did learn something! And I think the semi-permanent dent in my thumb from knitting the applied I-cord with size 3 DPNs is starting to go away. So those are at least a couple positive take-aways!

No comments: