Saturday, February 21, 2009

Pom-Poms... a Party for Your Head!

My first ear-flap hat is complete! These hats are a great project - I followed the Kim's Hats pattern in LMKG. Although I made the design of this hat with a very simple, I am looking forward to putting in stripes and different colors in subsequent ones.

Pom-poms are key. And these are home-made ones - no pom-pom maker for me! A note about this picture - my camera generally will blur any subject matter that isn't statuesque - so I am happily surprised that this action shot came out so clear!

The pattern from LMKG was OK, but I definitely did make deviations. Originally I cast on 88 stitches, per my measurements and the instructions. Sadly, I had to rip this version out and start over after I was swimming in the brim. So 76 stitches was the magic number. Also, the instructions called for 7" from CO to the beginning of the crown decreases. I did 6.5" and I definitely could have just done 6". I also made the ear flaps smaller. I knit this hat on a 16", US #9 circular needle (and used DPNs for the ear flaps and top of the hat). The pattern was good as a guide - but 88 stitches for CO and 9.5 inches from brim to top pom-pom?? I guess there must be someone out there whose noggin fits those dimensions - maybe they're all at MIT or NASA.

I'm really happy that this hat was so fun and quick to knit - I think knitting these hats will be good interim projects to break up longer ones - speaking of said longer projects, I'm considering starting the Central Park Hoodie on Ravelry. Larissa is also thinking of starting one, so it'd be fun to both work on our hoodies together! Anyway, cheers to the ear-flap hat!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great Hat!