Sunday, February 1, 2009

Manos Madness

My local knitting shop is having a sale, so I stopped in. Earlier in the week, employees told me this sale brings in loads of people, and lines have been know to go out the door. This was exactly the motivation I needed to NOT participate - Who wants to fight for left-over colors, odd lots, or a bin full of "fun-fur"? But.... I happened to wake up early this morning, and figured that since today is the 2nd day of the sale, lines would be far less lengthy and maybe I could pick up some good deals, even if some good inventory was gone.

I arrived 30 min after the store opened and actually found it to be a nice experience - lots of employees floating around to help customers and good discounts - everything was at least 20% off, with lots of items up to 50% off. I'm guessing the fun fur was 90% off???. I decided to pick up some Manos to make some winter hats! In the Last Minute Knitted Gifts book, they have some cool hats that have ear-flaps, pom-poms, and interesting stripes. (I love pom-poms). Lots of ways to be creative with this project. And this would be my first time making hats, so buying the yarn on sale would be good all around. I had some left over Manos from knitting the Purl scarf (from the same book), so I chose colors to compliment it. Here's what I got:

# 34 Oilslick
# 26 Rosin
(I have a bit of the #49 Henna left over - perhaps enough for earflaps?)
# 36 Mallard

So... this is always the dreamy part of the project to me... my stream of consciousness goes something like: "I love this material these hats would be adorable maybe they'll come out just like what's in the book maybe someone on the street will stop and ask me about it and inquire if I could make them one and then their friends will love the hat and insist I make them some and maybe income from knitting ear-flap hats would at first compliment my current salary working for the man and then quickly meet and surpass it and then I could just knit beautiful, unique hats and various other accessories and maybe then I'd be like that lady who patented spanx and run my own company and retire at an early age"........ and then I start knitting, hit the first dropped stitch, unclear pattern direction, or repetative-motion-induced pain in my hand, and remember why I don't quit my day job.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you can knit at your day job!

Anonymous said...

ha! That would allow a seamless transition to an alter-career, but it probably wouldn't go over well now. Besides, I actually like my job, which is a pretty rare sentimet now-a-days it seems...