Monday, April 13, 2009

"Thou shalt not drop a stitch...unless knitting a clapotis"

So..... I've been working on the clapotis. I've finished the increases and am well into the body of this wrap. The pattern isn't difficult, but calls for a droppped stitch to fall and propegate to create the parallel bars between knitted columns. Yes, that's right, an intentional dropped stitch that you let run down the project. This wasn't intuitive at all, since in knitting, a run-away dropped stitch is generally the kiss of death to a project. The saving grace here is that the pattern has built in yos at the bottom of the dropped stitch row that protect the run-aways from spreading beyond the column. Plus, the knitted columns are bordered by a "K tbl" stitch that keep them intact, as well (I'm not sure if that's fashion or function, but I'm not taking any chances). Droping the stitch is kinda like watching a run spread in a pair of stockings, except this actually is intentional and has a positive outcome. A close-up of how the dropped stitch creates a ribbon-y effect is shown above.

This weekend, I knit a good amount of this clapotis while watching "The Ten Commandments". I love those religious epic movies, and this one is the grand-daddy of them all. I just realized this is a Passover movie, even though watching it is an Easter tradition for me. True, there's no mention of Christ since this is an Old Testament story, true they mention the plague PASSing OVER the blood-sealed doors, and true Moses liberates the Jews from Rameses. But I didn't put all the pieces together until discussing it with DH. Better late than never! It is a great film, and I got a lot done in those 5 hours I spent watching and working on the clapotis.
Speaking of timing - I have to say with this project, I definitely underestimated the time I'll need to finish it. I was thinking of trying to have it completed for "Moms' Tea" this weekend, but no way. Not even my sweatshop-knitting pace could crank it out that fast. The portion of the scarf that I'm on calls for 12 set of repeats, with 10 rows per set (and 107 stitches per row). Yeah, definitely delusional to think I'd have it done anytime this month. But that's ok! The yarn (Handmaiden yarn) is beautiful to work with, so it's been a pleasure to knit it. Here's where the project is now:



No comments: