Sunday, April 5, 2009

A Square Deal - Lazzara's Pizza

Last week I met Jason in the city for dinner after work. Now that the days are getting longer and the weather is warming up, it feels great to walk around and be "out and about" after work. We went to Lazzara's cafe (in the Garment District of NYC) for dinner and had a wonderful meal.


Lazzara's is located one flight of steps above W. 38th street and has an easily spottable black awning. When I first walked in, the vibe didn't suggest "hoppin' pizza cafe" to me - if actually had a more of a subdued, relaxed tone - the 3 things that stick out in my mind are the rounded tin ceilings, the low lighting, and the daily specials written on chalkboards along the wall. I kept trying to imagine what the area was originally used for prior to becoming a cafe (and came to no good conclusions). So Jason and I split a pie (6 slices): half Lazzara's Special (prosciutto, sundried tomatoes, and olives) and half Alorna (mushrooms, peppers, ground been and sausage). The thin-crust, square-cut pie arrived on a plastic lunch tray (lunch trays work for me!). Although both types were very good, I think I enjoyed the Alorna better - I found it a bit more flavorful and spicy, with the sausage and mushrooms. And the priced was very reasonable - $18 for the pie. A $25 dinner out for 2 is pretty darn good.

You know... dinner in the city after work was perfect after a stressful day. We're lucky because we're just a short train ride away, so by the time Jason's done working (on an "early night") we can meet up, get dinner, and take the train back together.

The night would have been perfect if it wasn't for the train station vagrant hanging out on the platform at my departing station, who repeatedly asked me to borrow my phone (while I was on it). The inquiry itself wasn't disturbing, just how he inquired - by yelling through an open mouth full of orange cheese crackers, thereby projecting little orange cracker crumbs at my head and face as he yelled. Really, is that any way to ask some one for a favor?

Anyway, I think you'll like Lazzara's pizza. Give it a try.

2 comments:

Tom said...

Anything with prosciutto must be good. I'm happy you had a fun night out with the hubby, you guys are the perfect couple!

couch-knitter said...

you're very kind! He is a wonderful guy.......