Monday, March 16, 2009

Second Sock Syndrome (SSS)

Hooray! I've completed one sock of the KOIGU pair my hubby requested! Now I just need the motivation to complete the second one! Why am I not ready to jump in and complete the pair? Because 1) there's always the temptation to start one of the new projects that you found while you were knitting sock #1 and 2) in my case, completing sock #1 did have some knitting drama associated with it... (hence this post). Enter... second sock syndrome (SSS).

So I'd just completed about 4 inches of the foot portion when I "requested a fitting" from the future owner (my husband). He donned the sock, and I measured that I needed to knit another 2" before starting the decreases for the toe. So I knit, knit, knit and requested a second fitting. Jason tells me "you know, it doesn't really seem any longer". So, I continue to knit, knit, knit, WITHOUT confirming that the sock was positioned in the same place on his foot during fitting #2 as fitting #1. So I complete the toe decreases and after a brief kitchener stitch youtube refresh (compliments of the KnitWitch), I graft the sock and am done. Excitedly, I show the sock to Jason, who tries it on, and behold - the foot was easily THREE INCHES TOO LONG!

His foot looked like a Dr. Seuss character!!! I was crushed! I think he must have pulled the sock up higher on his foot, in fitting #2, which I definitely should have noticed. I thought of knitting an identical misfit sock, and then shrinking them in a hot laundry cycle.... but I realized this KOIGU is 100% wool, and they'd felt. So.... at midnight last night, I un-sewed the toe and proceeded to rip out 3" of sock! Amazingly, I was able to pick up all the stitches and resume at a safe point. Looking back, I should have taken a picture of his Dr. Seuss sock because it looked really funny, but I think I was too crushed at the time. Here is a photo of the properly sized sock #1, which I completed an hour ago. The final product did come out great. BTW, that's my husband's leg, not mine. :)
So I'm kinda pooped on the socks. Hence the SSS.
Most knitters remedy this condition by knitting 2 socks at once, using 2 circular needles - and also because I think using double pointed needles (DPNs) has a bad rap. But I actually love DPNs - they're more compact and I think you can knit faster with them, rather than sliding stitches along a cable, if you don't have a perfect length circular needle. But... to each their own.
Single sock.... I promise to knit you a mate.... but enjoy a solitary lifestyle for a bit - it might be a while until you meet your match.

No comments: