Monday, February 8, 2010

French Press Slippers - ooh la la....

Hooray, I finished my first pair of French Press Felted Slippers! I do like how they came out, but of course have some comments.

The sizing, for one. I have a size 9 foot, which fit the "large" catagory on the pattern. I think next time I would probably knit the medium and "shape" (euphamism for "stretch") them into fitting. I think my pair is a little loose, but they still fit. I also had to felt them FOUR TIMES in the wash to get them to shrink enough! So next time, I'd do a medium size and less felting. I think all that extra felting makes them less homogenous in texture. Look at how large the slipper sections are before felting! It's amazing they remotely fit!

Also - the pattern was rediculously clear in some aspects (like showing photos of the slipper pieces before felting) but then very unclear on other key aspects - like how to assemble the damn pieces into the actual slipper.

But - I do still like how they came out in the end. I used PCW (Patons Classic Wool) for them. I put some fabric paint on the bottom for a bit of traction, since I was sliding all over our floors with these! Even though I didn't find the instructions stellar (or any of the chat room discussions about this project on Ravelry), I do still think they make a really cute pair of slippers!

In other news - DH and I made home-made onion rings (home-made starting from buying the onions at the store - no we don't grow our own produce... yet...) and they were out of this world fantastic. You must try them, assuming you have a French Oven pot and candy thermometer on hand. And a quart of vegetable oil.

4 comments:

Tom said...

MMMMMM......onion rings....good....can you cook them in duck fat? I bet that would be really good!

Jason said...

I was amazed how good the onion rings were. Well worth the effort. I like where your heads at, Tom, we need to explore additional cooking mediums.

Oh, the slippers came out looking surprisingly comfy. Carolyn is hooked on them.

Tom said...

Hey, its DH! I think you guys need to have an onion ring party!

So is there any kind of party for the soon to be dad, like there is a bachelor party for the soon to be DH?

Carolyn said...

Tom, you should definitely come over for onion rings.